What to do if you’re interested
Please go to the map on our website, enter your location to find out if a venue offering a ‘chatter & natter’ table is in a location that is convenient for you to travel to. If so, please apply using our online application. Please include the name of the venue that you wish to volunteer at, in your application form.
Purpose of the role
The Chatty Café Scheme supports venues (cafes, pubs, community centres) to designate a table as a ‘chatter & natter’ table. We currently have over 1,000 venues that have joined our scheme all around the UK. Venues are seeking support from volunteers to help establish their ‘chatter & natter’ tables as places in their community where people can come together to chat and socialise.
We are looking for volunteers to host ‘chatter & natter’ tables, where the volunteer helps create a welcoming space where members of the public can get together and chat, should they wish to.
We’re looking for a passionate, super-organised volunteer to work to support a venue local to them, with implementing a 12-week plan, which provides a step-by-step guide on how to establish a successful and well attended ‘chatter & natter’ table.
Our vision is that ‘chatter & natter’ tables encourage people of all ages to talk to others and not feel so socially isolated; you will be instrumental in helping us achieve this and play a key role in connecting people within your community.
What to expect at the Chatter & Natter table
A venue joins the Chatty Café Scheme and is sent a ‘chatter & natter’ table sign and designates a table as a ‘chatter & natter’ table. This table is available to the public for anyone over the age of 18. The venue and volunteer will agree a time and day of the week that the volunteer will host the ‘chatter & natter’ table. The hosted table will run for around one hour. The table volunteer will welcome people to the table.
The volunteer must be comfortable socialising with people and have a keen eye on recognising anyone within the venue that may want to approach the table but need some help sitting with others. A ‘chatter & natter’ table should consist of light-hearted chatting with a positive and happy tone so that communities organically connect, communicate, and want to return each week.
Is this role right for me?
You’re a strong communicator, with excellent organisation skills. You are a kind, empathetic person who is passionate about making safe and welcoming spaces for people who are experiencing limited interaction and want to connect with other people. Is this you?
We are looking for Chatty Table Volunteers with the following skills and attributes:
- Organised, committed, and can allocate a minimum 2 hours a week over the first 4 weeks to promote the table (we have a step-by-step process for you to follow) and then 1 hour a week to host the table to meet and greet attendees (weeks 5 – 12).
- Good conversational skills and an ability to steer difficult conversations
- Motivated and driven to implement the 12-week plan to promote and interact with your community
- Raise awareness of the Chatter & Natter table
- An enthusiasm for making genuine connections with people in your community
- A friendly, patient, and empathetic approach
- Basic computer literacy (including the ability to use email)
- Passionate about our vision
Requirements from you.
- Attend 1x 30-minute onboarding session; virtual ID check; provide 1 reference name; watch safeguarding training; wear your name lanyard; follow 12-week step-by-step process.
- Inform your Volunteer Supervisor/DSL of any safeguarding concerns or issues you might have.
- Maintain confidentiality about the attendees at the table.
- Following all guidance in your Table Volunteer training to ensure that the ‘chatter & natter’ table is enjoyable, appropriate, and in line with our mission, values, and policies.
- Ability to follow a 12-week step-by-step plan on how to establish a successful ‘chatter & natter’ table and your agreement to provide feedback to the Chatty Café Scheme and venue on how the table is progressing.